Instagram

Friday, May 10, 2013

Vintage T-shirt Nostalgia






This post is going to be slightly different than my previous. I've resisted the desire to be personal so far, but I think to better connect I'd like to share more about myself, not just my closet. 

This outfit was randomly selected, so I didn't really have any ideas about what to write. I shifted through the photos, did my edits, etc, and the only thing I kept thinking about was how long I've had this Cramps t-shirt. 10 years. It has since been mangled and destroyed as hardcore as any good vintage t-shirt can get. The side seams are completely destroyed and the rib trim at the neckline is breaking away from the body completely (hence the safety pins- stylish touch but in reality totally necessary). 

It's been a long time since I pulled this off the rack at Wasteland on Melrose. It's been a long time since I've set foot on Melrose. I moved to the Bay (first San Francisco, then Oakland) only 2 short years ago. I really do love it here- the community, the social activism, the seasons, it's all really wonderful. But the past few months I have missed LA, my hometown, very much. 

I always had a love/hate relationship with LA. The weather is amazing, but sometimes the people, well, aren't. But maybe that's because I was a different person then. I felt very alone sitting in traffic in a metal box on the freeway or sitting at a bar during happy hour with 4 strangers. It was just a weird time in my life. Now instead of the smog and hipster rich kids I think of vegan brunch (why hasnt the bay picked up on this!?!?) and shopping on Melrose picking out rad band shirts. 

Sometimes you can get so happy with your life, that you start realizing the things you thought could never satisfy you all of a sudden can. Because the light inside you, that contentment, it's within you not around you. Maybe I should keep that in mind.  Salud.


T-shirt- Vintage via Wasteland; Shorts- vintage with DIY studding via Mercy Vintage; Boots - Forever 21; Jacket - vintage, no label

2 comments:

  1. Truly beautiful style worn by a fashion plate....

    ReplyDelete