Instagram

Friday, April 26, 2013

DIY Denim: Stud Muffin

As a total "outcast by choice" in high school, I always wanted to out do my classmates with weird and wacky clothing. Because I had a minimum wage job as a hostess at a small restaurant, the clothing I so desired wasn't exactly accessible. So I resorted to what has become one of my absolute favorite pastimes- DIY vintage. I'm so excited that tons of the trends I'm into this season are completely doable with some thrifted or vintage items tweeked just enough to give them a new edge. DIY is so much fun because a) you get to have complete control over the design, b) it's cheaper and c) it's more fun, duh!
This week I decided to work with denim! I recently purchased this acid wash cap (actually a F21 buy) and a pair of oversized mom jeans (soon to be cutoffs) from a local vintage shop in Oakland called Mercy Vintage. I purchased a pack of studs on ebay, grabbed a beer and put on Dazed and Confused. I was ready to get down! 
There are several types of studs you can buy online- some easier to use than others. One kind of stud has four legs with sharp edges that can easily pierce thin(er) fabric. I bought a different kind that just has a single spike in the back. These require a bigger hole (which I cut with a combination of a WAY sharper 1" stud and a knife) but I do think they'll last longer because you have to screw them in for the last bit so they don't easily come out. Also, depending on how good (or not good) you are at eyeballing space, grab a ruler or measuring tape to space out your studs evenly. Or not, as I did with the cap. Depends what look you're going for.
It takes a bit of time, and my hands were quite sore, but voila! Excited to rock some new stuff!

Outfit: Hawaiian Crop Top- Vintage; Skirt- H&M 

No comments:

Post a Comment